- J&J: Wow. You have really long hair! Why don't you cut it?
- You: (give a smile) Why is there a need to cut it?
- J&J: Singapore's so hot, isn't it?
- You: (politely ask back) Wow. You have really nice clothes! Why don't you wear uglier clothes? They are cheaper and more functional.
- J&J: (speechless) huh?
- You: You see... It is innate for us to please someone. When we wear nice clothes, we are trying to look presentable to the people around us and please the people we meet. It just happens that I am trying to please another crowd. When I leave uncut hair, I am trying to look presentable in front of the angels around me and please my King, Jesus, whom I meet with and talk to every day.
- the latest interesting conversation with my brother
- brother: jie, come
- me: what?
- brother: come...
- me: *follows*
- brother: I hungry...
- me: errr, then what you want me to do?
- brother: accompany me cook
- me: cook need to accompany one meh? (but still accompanied him as he cooks his maggi mee supper)
- brother: *sat down in living room table with cooked food*
- me: sooo, can i go now?
- brother: nooo, sit here
- me: and watch you eat?!?
- brother: talk to me laaa
- me: about what?
- brother: tell me christian stuff then i know how to convert!
- me: .... errrrr, i don't know what to say now
- brother: try laaa
- me: errrr ok...
- i didn't share much, but we talked a little while he gobbled down his food and I was a bit taken aback when he is taking the initiative to ask me all these now =) which I MUST have answers to give the next time he asked again or I talk to him again.
- and my dear brother is so cute, he's getting xbox and he's gonna get the kind of game I like (which he doesn't) so I get to play tooo! Although I'm not much of a gamer, never last long for any single game, but awwww I think this is a sweet gesture! =D
my brother and I engage in ‘christian’ talks, like literally we use the word ‘christian’… except the word comes mostly from his mouth.
it would almost be strange if i don’t hear him call me ‘christian’ every other day now. I used to dislike that, because he would go, ‘eeee christian touch before, cannot touch’; ‘cannot eat christian food’; ‘christian go place cannot go’ -.- which he still does so, but I’m more amused about it now… haha
just recalling my relationship w my brother, God has brought it a long way, and I only see it improving more and more. I remember for 2009 youth camp, when sis huie preached about relationship and how there are some relationships in our lives that need improvement, I thought of my brother.
His door was always locked, entrance into his room for his christian sister is near impossible, and every time I knocked on his door, it made him angry but I remember telling God, like how He always continues to knock on the door of his heart, I would also do so - I would keep on knocking on his physical room door.
Opportunity arises that I had to tuition my brother for his exams, he doesn’t like to study; I don’t like to study too; I am not exactly born a teacher; I am teaching him the subjects I am WORST at and his bed is the table, seriously how non-conducive can the study environment get… but as much as he and I dreaded the process, it was the only chance I get the most interaction with him and that was when I realise he thinks alot about the whole christianity matter, because without fail everyday he would mention christian related stuff (sometimes in a negative sense) and I also realise I could say very harsh thing in his face and it totally bounced off him and he laughed about it -.-
I recently celebrated my 21st, and I was so happy my brother agreed to come! For my birthday party, I asked God for just one good thing that could come out of it, whatever it is, cause i felt =S that the party kind of ended up bigger than we wanted. And God answered that prayer!
well firstly, my brother came! And I was super surprised that my brother was so sporting for the horrific games that absolutely embarrasses him, especially the dress up one… I LAUGHED sooo HARD! (being embarrassed by your elder sister isn’t exactly the coolest thing har?) and I don’t know what stirred in him ever since the party but he talks a little differently now. =)
for 3 midnights already, he asked that I accompany him to make pancakes (i know who makes pancakes at midnight right? i have a strange brother that’s almost as weird as I am… haha) then he allowed me into his room and eat pancake with him or he ate them in my room. And for the 3rd or 4th time already, we also tried to order mcdonald’s for supper together. He randomly said he wanted to sleep in my room for 2 nights already and talked ‘nonsense’ with me =)
brother: jie, you christian right?
me: yes (i was trying to sleep, it was like 1am…)
brother: jie, you christian right?
brother: jie, you christian right?
me: -.- ya
brother: ok, sing me a christian song!
me: (in my head i was like LOL, what the heck, this is super random but i proceeded to sing in my favourite out of tune voice) ammazzzinggg gracee, how sweet the soundd…
I was on my loft bed (the upper bunk kind) trying to sleep already…
brother: jie, come down leh, help me plug this in!
me: don’t want I want sleep already
brother: cannot plug in
me: say in Jesus’ name
brother: (said in any other god’s name except Jesus)
me: in Jesus’ name la
brother: in Jesus’ name
brother: cannott, come down help me
me: (came down) (immediately plugged the charger in w no difficulty and gave my brother the -.- face)
me: seeeee can already
me: if in Jesus’ name can how?
brother: Ohhhh then of course must convert already la! then in other god’s name can then must convert already la!
now I knock on my brother’s door, it’s not “GO AWAY LA”, yesterday whn he finally opened his door and let me in, he just said, “don’t keep coming my room leh, i busy gaming very hard open the door for you…” =)
and I say all these just to say thank you, to God and to everyone that came for the party who created such a wonderful atmosphere there and for talking to our guests and family. You all left a great impression =)
And to those who have siblings that are not saved, keep on praying; keep on reaching; keep on sowing seeds.
The LORD’s hand is not shortened that it cannot save (Isaiah 59:1a) and as you plant and others water, God give the increase (1 Corinthians 3:6).
Last but not least, my brother I love you, and your name is Tay Huai Zhi, which means bearing great ambitions and if I can add, I say you will bear great ambitions FOR GOD! Your name is definitely not bane or bayne or whatever you call yourself, if anything you’re Jasper, a precious gemstone in my heart and God’s.
and I’m gonna continue praying for you.
- friend: you never cut your hair?
- apostolic girl A: *shakes head*
- friend: why?
- apostolic girl A: ...
- apostolic girl B: we are asian rapunzels! *laughs*
- apostolic girl B: except we are not waiting for some guy to come save us...
- apostolic girl B: ... ... we are saved already.
- and then the moment where you feel like a revelation just hit you...
- I am saved, and Jesus you're my Saviour. =)
“A woman of God must posses a stable core. She feels emotions at great levels BUT she is not a slave to her own feelings. A woman of God is of sound mind and does not fall apart emotionally, even in the gravest and most severe of circumstances”